Friday, July 06, 2007

The Colorado Trail ~ Epilogue

As I write this, I’ve been home for almost 2 weeks. The raw patches on my shoulders have healed, as have the blisters on my feet. Even the mosquito bites are barely discernable. But the memories will linger on. Sadly, at the moment they’re mostly along the lines of “Oh, that was tough”, rather than “Oh that was beautiful” although maybe that will change over time. Because it truly was beautiful and while the disposable camera I carried with me didn’t really didn’t do the scenery justice, there are hundreds of fabulous Colorado views locked in my brain.

I learned a few lessons along the way. The necessity of packing light being the main one. Even though the bag I carried on Days 4 & 5 was almost half the weight of the one I hauled through Day 2, it was still too heavy. And that Saturday morning strolls with The World’s Most Irritating Dog™ isn’t adequate preparation for long days out on a trail. My feet, legs and shoulders simply weren’t up to the task. Before I tackle the next stretch I’ll need to get in some overnight trips, with some major mileage and elevation gain.

I should also plan my daily mileage allotment a little more carefully. The guidebook divides the trail into segments, but these are merely geographical divisions, not recommended daily hikes. Once I get further from home it isn’t practical to sail through 10 easy downhill miles one day; and be done by lunchtime, only to spend hours grinding uphill the next. And it would be good to know that each night’s planned campsite has water and a flat place for a tent, to avoid fruitlessly walking a mile further along the trail and back as I did on Day 4.

But probably the best advice I could give to anyone planning to replicate this portion of the trip, the five days from Denver to Kenosha would be this:

Do it the other way!

Happy trails everyone.

2 comments:

Karen said...

It's one of those "you don't know until you try it" experiences, aye? You did fantastic though - a lot better than many would have done.

Here's to the next 400 miles! I hope your wounds continue to heal.

PammyJean said...

It would definitely take me some pretty good conditioning to do any part of this trail, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing your Adventures!!!