Tuesday, September 06, 2005

To Catch a Fish

The seaweed was biting that day, my friends.

Every few minutes the fishermen (and fisherwomen, and fisherkids) would haul in their lines to find yet another long string of glistening fauna. Come to think, it probably wasn’t even seaweed, seeing as how we were at a lake some 1,300 miles from the nearest ocean. But there was certainly lots of it and they excitedly compared hauls. "Maybe we should take it back to the campsite" said Mary. "Make a seaweed salad?"

I’ve only been fishing a handful of times in my life. The very first time was off a pier in Tarbet, Scotland where the fish were so easy to catch the whole sport seemed rather pointless. Drop in the line, watch while the mackerel came up to check out the bait, jerk the pole (Note: This is called 'striking' – write that down kids!) then haul up the fish. Take out the hook; drop the fish back in the water, lather, rinse, repeat.

Any guilt I may have felt over the lack of sportsmanship on my first fishing trip was absolved on all my subsequent outings when I never came close to catching a single fish.

"I practice cruelty free fishing" I explain to anyone who will listen. "No fish were harmed in the making of this day out."

Possibly for that reason, I never really got into fishing and if I did go, it was usually to tag along with others who knew more about the sport than I. Although curiously, they never seemed to catch anything either. Maybe I was a jinx who had used my lifetime’s supply of fisherman’s luck on that first day out.

But really, that was OK with me. I like fish well enough when they’re coated in batter and deep fried with chips but getting up close and personal with a wriggly one on a hook doesn’t particularly appeal. Also, I’ve never had a desire to be one of those hardy souls you’ll see up to their privates in icy cold water while they try to trick the fishes into their nets. No, when I go fishing I want it to be a pleasant day out, preferably in beautiful scenery.

Which was the case today as I sat cross-legged on the shore of one of Colorado’s more picturesque lakes, with the sun on my face and the breeze gently ruffling my hair, simply watching as others went through the motions.

We were pretty sure there were fish in the lake. The campsite host was certainly charging enough for the privilege of attempting to catch them, although as I noted, this would be the scam to end all scams. Charge campers just to fish in a lake with no fish. How neat would that be? Sometimes I wonder why I’m not filthy rich.

Anyhoo, I questioned why Mary was using limburger cheese as bait.

"It may smell like old socks, but one of the old ladies I visit told me it’s the only thing to use. She hasn’t fished in years but she perked right up when I told her I would be going this weekend and she swears by it."

"Not doing much good so far is it?" observed Ed, "Why don’t you try some salmon eggs?"

"I dunno, they don’t seem to be working too well for you so far, do they Hotshot" came the retort.

Ed looked sadly at his own pile of seaweed and had to conclude that she was right. So, he hauled in his line and cast once more out into the big blue yonder. Or at least, 30 feet or so out into it – he was only using a small fishing pole.

After a while, Sophie lost interest and wandered off to chat to the rest of the group who were busy catching seaweed further down the shore. Her fishing pole lay unused near my feet and after watching Ed and Mary for a few minutes longer, I decided I could catch seaweed just as skillfully as them.

I checked to make sure both hooks were properly baited. Sophie had been using a curiously unnatural looking attraction called 'PowerBait'. These were pea-sized balls of putty like material in a shade of orange not found in nature. I would have thought this would scare the fish away, but what do I know. Everything appeared to be in order, so I laid the pole of my right shoulder and deftly cast out into the deep.

The hook barely reached the water.

It took another two equally abysmal efforts before I noticed that the reel had a wee lever on it, which I discovered, was the brake. Slide it the other way and the line has the opportunity to unwind as well as be reeled in. Probably fairly important, that. Flicking the lever to one side, I tried once more and this time, the line whizzed out across the water. That’s better.

After a few minutes of not very much happening, I decided I would give my new found casting skills another go and hauled in the line. I had to fight the urge to jump up and down when I felt an unmistakable tugging on the line. Could it be? Could I have caught a fish on my first cast while all these pros were hauling in nothing but seaweed? Could it be?

Well, no of course it couldn’t.

I had however, caught a twig. And quite an impressive one too; at least 6 inches long and quite formidable looking. I added it to the seaweed pile and tried once more. I didn’t catch a fish that time either. Or the next time, or the next. But you know what? I caught one on the next.

Oh, it wasn’t exactly a record breaker. At 5 inches or so, it was well under the limit which required me to throw it back, so no visit to the taxidermist for me. And it was an ugly little bugger too.

"A sucker fish" explained Ed. "A bottom feeder".

OK, so not exactly the sort of thing you’d read about in Hemingway’s work. Melville probably wouldn’t have written a novel about it (although if he had, it couldn’t have been any worse than Moby Dick.) But it was the only fish anyone caught that day. Mr. Rugged-Outdoorsman, that’s me. When civilization crumbles around us, I’ll be able to provide for my family.

So, (lowering voice an octave and hitchin’ up pants) if you need any advice on fish catchin’, I’m your man.

Just don’t ask me what’s in PowerBait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a FISHERMAN...A NIMROD...AN ANGLER.
I have fished for most of my life and I have gotten very good at it. I do not fish because I like the taste of fish. Get this...I don't keep the fish I catch. I catch and release all the time. I would go to the trouble of cleaning a fish just so I could cook it for someone else. I wouldn't do for me, I'm not going to do it for you. I'll buy you a fish sandwich if you are hungry. They taste better than anything I've ever caught and cooked myself anyway. Aquatic vegetation is an immediate turn-off for me. If there is Duckweed or anything else green floating on the top or if I make a cast and pull back a wad of plants...I'll never come back to that body of water again. It's a waste of time I've discovered over the years. If this place you were fishing is a popular tourist place, it's probably fished out anyway. You are not missing anything if you don't intend to get serious about the sport. Go fish in the ocean on a half day fishing boat trip. They are professionals. They will take you to where you can catch some fish. You don't have to touch them either. The deck hands will take them off for you. I believe they will even bait your hook for you, like your dad used to do when you were little and too afraid to do it yourself.